The 10% Rule - I really should know better

On Sunday I accomplished my longest run since giving birth to AJ... a nice 1.5 hour run (about 10 miles) with my good friend Michelle. Typical of running with Michelle, I didn't really notice the minutes and miles ticking by. About 1 hour 15 min into the run Michelle asks, "how far do you want to go, what has your longest run been?" I answer, "a little over 6 miles." Michelle says, "well, then you are just blowing the 10% rule." I said "yes" and laughed not thinking of it. you see, I've always blown the 10% rule. (10% being the amount by which you increase your long run week after week, never more the 10% more than your longest run before) I always get a little too anxious to ramp up the milage and one day just decide that I'm feeling good and I just go.

Well, I'm guessing once you hit 34 you need to pay attention to the 10% rule. Never, in my 23 years of long distance running have I ever been as sore as I've been since Monday. I'm talking wake up in the middle of the night in pain because I rolled over kind of pain.

and yes, I did drink a recovery drink after the run. but no, I didn't take and ice bath, and I haven't taken any advil (still nursing, plus I'm not a big fan anyhow). I've been using "the Stick" and I'm sure I'll be as good as new in a day or two, just funny to have this happen because, I really should know better.

2 comments:

  1. Jill! Who knew...that dern 10% is so true! I continue to make this mistake as well - when we will learn? It was a good run though and I probably would have cut it short, if not for your company. :) Back to training with bang, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny! i have a 5.5 month old and 6 miles (well, 6.2) has been my longest since also. good to know i should be careful (i'm also 34) when i go "long" again!!

    ReplyDelete

tribirdie goes No Sugar No Grain

 

Follow Tribirdie

Instagram

Tribirdie Goes No Sugar No Grain

I started eating following the rules
No Sugar
No Grain

I am posting what eat each day on tumblr. I'm sure I'll make some mistake along the way, feel free to heckle!

tribirdie's No sugar No grain photosettribirdie's No sugar No grain photoset

Quotes

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
- Steve Prefontaine
"Shut Up Legs"
- Jens Voigt
"No quit in this body. No quit in this Mind"
- Jill Poon (inspired by Jason Overbaugh)

Followers