High Fructose Corn Syrup Commercials

My poor husband has had to listen to me rail against the Corn Refiners of America and their horribly misleading commercials about HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). We've stayed away from HFCS in our house for the last four years. I changed a lot about the foods that we purchased and brought into the house after Jason was born. I'm not saying we never have HFCS... sometimes I forget to read a label, I buy a Sprite on occasion, I don't worry about what Jason eats at birthday parties, etc. but we definitely make an effort to limit our intake, because once you start looking for it, you find it everywhere.

I've noticed over the past few months that more and more "mainstream" foods no longer have HFCS in their ingredients. Well I guess the Corn Refiners are feeling the pinch because they started paying for their HFCS commercials... these commercials that make the people that mention that HFCS is bad look like idiots that don't know what they are talking about and that there is nothing wrong with it. The problem is that it is a highly concentrated sweentener and because most of the products that contain it don't have any fiber to slow down the digestion of it, HFCS goes immediately into your bloodstream creating a huge insulin spike. Enough of this over time has been shown to produce a pre-diabetic condition and may lead to type 2 diabetes. The problem I have with the commericals is they say "fine in moderation". Unfortunately, since it is in most packaged foods and lots of foods you might not expect to find it, you end of eating a lot more than you expect.

I think this article from Carmichael Training Sytem actualy sums it up quite well.
What's Up With the High Fructose Corn Syrup Commercials?

My point? I guess I would have liked the commecials to more clearly explain what they mean by moderation and to let folks know how prevalent HFCS is in their food... but then it would have been a public service announcement and not a commerical.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

tribirdie goes No Sugar No Grain

 

Follow Tribirdie

Instagram

Tribirdie Goes No Sugar No Grain

I started eating following the rules
No Sugar
No Grain

I am posting what eat each day on tumblr. I'm sure I'll make some mistake along the way, feel free to heckle!

tribirdie's No sugar No grain photosettribirdie's No sugar No grain photoset

Quotes

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
- Steve Prefontaine
"Shut Up Legs"
- Jens Voigt
"No quit in this body. No quit in this Mind"
- Jill Poon (inspired by Jason Overbaugh)

Followers