So I'm slow but I want be fast - now what?

How do you motivate yourself to workout when you know you are going to "suck"

I wrote a bit in my last post about not looking forward to working out when you know it's not going to be stellar...

I'm coming back from an injury, but this could also apply to folks who've taken a long hiatus from being fit... or even someone who is just starting out and they want to be super awesome NOW.

That is my current issue... I want to be where I was NOW, but that's simply not going to happen...

So how do I keep myself motivated while I "suck"?

#1 - probably the most girlie thing I have ever done, I treated myself to some new workout clothes from one of our Team Rev3 sponsors Pearl Izumi.  I especially love my new shirt that reminds me to "run like an animal" which I can still do, in my mind haha.  The important point here is that I LIKE putting these clothes on and that's one step closer to the workout.





#2 - music.  I'm a mom of two - I don't usually get to listen to the music I want to, the WAY I want to, i.e. belting it out at the top of my lungs.  When I go for a run, or ride my bike in the basement, or even *shock* life weights! I can sing as loud as I want! It takes the sting out of the fact that I almost threw up from the effort of squatting 50#s.

#3 - remembering that I don't want to be where I was... I don't want to be injured anymore - so that helps me get my butt in gear to do things I hate (like weight training or TRX).



#4 - no matter how "slow" I am going - I'm going faster than I was sitting on the couch watching Big Bang Theory.  Well, since I'm on my trainer, I guess I'm not technically GOING anywhere, but hey I still get to watch Big Bang Theory AND fit my new Pearl Izumi clothes a little bit better!

You can see the TV with the visor on correctly :)

#5 - stay positive.  Oh goodness, how trite... if only it were that easy... but in the end you really don't have a choice... the minute you let that negative energy in, is when it starts eating away at you... so sometimes it is simply posting a little board up with your motivational saying for today...

Today's message to myself?


"STRENGTH OF CHARACTER"

Remember that, no matter how weak you feel today, you have the strength in your character to be STRONGER TOMORROW

Go get yours!

4 comments:

  1. Love this post!! I feel you with the weights and the TRX...that is the hardest thing for me to do. You'll get there, Jill, and in the meantime, sit back and learn from the journey!! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! It's funny how much #1 helps with motivation :) Enjoy 1 day at a time & you'll be there before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this Jill- I'm still in the same boat that you are in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be back to your good old self in no time lady. Hang in there! Little by little!

    ReplyDelete

tribirdie goes No Sugar No Grain

 

Follow Tribirdie

Instagram

Tribirdie Goes No Sugar No Grain

I started eating following the rules
No Sugar
No Grain

I am posting what eat each day on tumblr. I'm sure I'll make some mistake along the way, feel free to heckle!

tribirdie's No sugar No grain photosettribirdie's No sugar No grain photoset

Quotes

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
- Steve Prefontaine
"Shut Up Legs"
- Jens Voigt
"No quit in this body. No quit in this Mind"
- Jill Poon (inspired by Jason Overbaugh)

Followers